If you are considering visiting St. Paul’s, we want you to know that we value you as a person, and we want you to have a positive experience.
We’ve compiled a little information about our church so that you feel more comfortable when you arrive.
- You will not be embarrassed.We will not ask for you to stand up in the service or to come forward. You won’t be put on the spot or singled out in any way.
- What happens during a Sunday morning service. After some singing, a welcome, and prayer, you’ll hear a sermon followed by Communion. You are welcome to participate in any way you feel comfortable. You may come forward to the altar rail and kneel and put your hands out for the bread and wine. Don’t worry, we are relaxed. If you get lost, just ask a question or do what you see others doing.
- Holy Communion (or the Eucharist). We believe that in Holy Communion, as in the other sacraments, we encounter Jesus Christ in real and powerful ways. Using everyday things such as bread, wine, and water, the Holy Spirit teaches us about the spiritual blessings available to all of us. By seeing the beautiful in the mundane and experiencing grace in the ordinary moments of life, we begin to be more aware of the holiness around us and within.
- A history of the service. The Episcopal Church combines ancient and modern elements in our service. Many of our prayers and songs go back hundreds or even thousands of years, but our sermons and prayers touch upon key aspects of life in our modern world. We kneel, we stand, and we cross ourselves at certain times during the service. These actions are meant as physical expressions of spiritual feelings or desires. You do not have to follow the movements but feel free to look around and see what others do, try it out and see if it helps your spiritual journey. After the service you are welcome to come to the parish hall for coffee and refreshments.
- Have questions and want to learn more? Immediately after church you can meet the priest as you go to coffee hour. We would be very glad to meet with you at church, meet you at a local coffee shop, or speak to you over the phone. Also, if you sign the guest book at the entrance to the church, we would be very happy to send you an information packet.
- Childcare. Starting at 9:00 a.m. childcare is provided for children of all ages. We have a nursery, and Sunday school starts at 10:00. The children remain in Sunday School until about 10:40 when they rejoin you in the church for Communion.